Saturday 6 February 2010

Smoking


An interesting lecture (despite the highly ironic fire alarm interruption), and one that I can relate to. My father smoked constantly while I was growing up; despite the fact we weren't well off and he never had much money. But who am I to criticise. Everyone has been addicted to something in the past, whether it be cigarettes and drink or chilli sauce and football manager (my current favourite). In fact, I'd go so far as to say that people should carry on smoking as much as they like. If the government are successful in cutting the number of smokers by half in the next decade, they will be losing half the current tax revenue gained from cigarettes. Given the current financial state of the country, this shortfall will be made up elsewhere for sure. Probably from petrol, income tax, education and health cuts, cuts in policing etc. All cuts that will affect me. So please, smoke for yourselves, smoke for me and above all.......smoke for your country!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes you are so right. If all the smokers stop where will all the lost income come from? I guess it is the same as putting the price of everything that makes the great unwashed escape their daily grind. Perhaps if the government stops us from smoking and binge drinking they can take us all back a few years to the days of the church being our entertainment. Oh yes that should make the world a better place!! NOT! After all we don't all disagree over a pint of lager or a packet of B&H but we disagree about religion all the time. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete